Pages

3.09.2011

...Up To?

As in... What have you been?

Thanks for all your kind messages, verbal or written, about our big news.

Changes, changes, changes are what we've been up to. Good ones, of course. Franco made a page-and-a-half long list of "Things to do before we move" on Monday. I'm letting him take care of most of them because he's just more capable of taking care of things like, "close our current lease," "prepare to sell our car," "get a new car," "find a place to live in july," "and possibly the scariest, "apply for financial aid." Did you know that optometry school costs $30,000 a year? Yep. Gulp, is right.

One of the things Franco asked me to do is to plan how and where I will work when we move. I know what I don't want to do: work at an insurance agency. I may keep doing some remote work at my home computer for a while to help with the transition, but that's still undecided. In my dream world, I'd be a successful graphic designer, mainly focusing on event invitations or logo designs. I am not a career woman. Looking back, I wish I would have taken a business class or two (instead of all the English classes I took instead, back when I was an English major) because I honestly don't know anything about the business world. How to start a business? I have no idea where to start. If anyone has any suggestions or tips, they are most welcome.

But anyway, this post wasn't meant to be all about my petit problรจmes.

I've been on a BBC & Masterpiece Theater kick lately and thought I'd share some of the latest and greatest series I've had the pleasure of watching. I assume that a lot of you either have access to a computer with internet, or have a Netflix subscription, or at the very least have a library card and can have access to these great titles, so if you're looking for something to watch alone or with your hubby, these are some great picks.

Here they are in the order I liked them the most:

1. First up is Jane Austen's classic, Emma. (2009)

Light, airy, and romantic. At first, I didn't know what to think about the actress who plays Emma, Romola Garai, but I warmed up to her and really enjoyed the transformation she portrayed as Emma went from a self-possessed, nosy, meddling matchmaker to a forcibly humbled, repentant woman. Mr. Knightley wasn't bad, either.
Available on: Netflix DVD (2 discs, 4 episodes) (It's also available on YouTube) I actually borrowed it from my city library.

2. Next is Sense & Sensibility. (2008) (Sorry, I'm such a sucker for Jane Austen!)

These "modern" adaptations aren't bad at all. The 1995 version with Emma Thompson will forever hold the #1 position for a S&S adaptation, but this one was longer and dealt with the little details and emotions the older version just couldn't get into because of time.
Available on: Netflix DVD (1 Disc, 180 mins) I watched it on YouTube but can't find the link just now.

3. I just finished Wives & Daughters (1999), a BBC production of a novel by Elizabeth Gaskell.

It reminds me of a Cinderella story only because Molly's father remarries after her mother dies and the stepmother, while not exactly wicked, is very annoying. Molly is loyal, humble, and thinks of everyone else but herself, keeping secrets others tell her, even though they visibly burden her. She's very patient, though not a very take-action person, but something in her finally snaps and she takes a leap of faith to win over the man she secretly loves.
I watched it on Netflix Instant, but it's also available on DVD (3 discs, 4 episodes).

4. To continue with the Austen adaptations, Persuasion (2007) is my next favorite.

I didn't know the storyline before watching this, as I've never read the book or watched any other movies, but I liked the character of Anne Elliot. I am a person who is easily persuaded, too, but in matters of the heart, Anne and I are both founded on rock. I related a lot to her and was impressed by her depth of emotion and regret, and then resolution as she finally decides for herself what she wants to do, and then does it.
 Available on: Netflix DVD (1 disc, 93 minutes) and on YouTube.

I also watched Daniel Deronda (2002) on Netflix Instant, but I didn't really like it. It was not predictable in some parts, I'll give it that, but I couldn't really relate to any of the characters and it was just not my cup of tea.

Next up on my To-Watch list are Northanger Abbey (2007) Mansfield Park (2007), and Tess of the D'Urbervilles (2008) (starring my doppleganger, Gemma Arterton. Do you see it? =).

I've said it before, but I inarguably spend way too much time watching movies. I hope to change that once we get rid of our Netflix subscription, which is sadly one of the "Things to do before we move" list. I'll miss it, but I'll still have the library and YouTube. Please, don't ever take away my YouTube.

Enjoy your week!

3 comments:

kera said...

great suggestions! i'll have to watch some of them. my sister has netflix, so i can get the instant ones, but they don't let me change their dvd queue... :)

Meg and Shea said...

You know what you would love? A BBC series called Lark Rise to Candleford. It is the best! I am only on he first season and am in love with all of the characters. Shows like that are so soothing haha!

Shantel Aleece said...

Yes, I was just going to recommend "Lark Rise to Candleford". Aaron and I have watched all three seasons of it, and are just waiting for the 4th one to come out on DVD in April. Also, we liked "Crandford" and "Return to Crandford". It's a BBC mini-series.